Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Lux Tenebris: The Lady of Everwood


The Lady of Everwood is a powerful dryad who serves Sunavis, the God of the Wilderness.  She protects a large area of the forests around the Graytooth Mountains from those who are evil or do harm. She is aided in her endevors by a loyal band of followers known as the Company of the Lady. This group consists of a variety of individuals, including forest gnomes, wood elves and sentient beasts.
The Lady is a formidable force in the Everwood, but few outside of it are aware of her existence. She can be a powerful ally or a dangerous enemy.
* * * * *
THE LADY OF EVERWOOD, L17 Dryad Cleric of Sunavis

STR     14 (+2)
DEX    16 (+3)
CON   13 (+1)
INT     13 (+1)
WIS     20 (+5)
CHA   16 (+3)
HP       105
AC      15 (w/Shieldl)/16 (Barkskin)

Traits:
Innate Spellcasting
- Spell DC:
- Atk Modifier:
- At Will: Druidcraft
- 3/Day: entangle, goodberry
- 1/Day each: barkskin, pass without trace, shillelagh
Magic Resistance
Speak w/Beasts and Plants
Tree Stride
Fey Charm (p.121, MM)
Treebound

Proficiencies (+6):
Armor: Light, Medium, Heavy, Shields
Weapons: Simple
Tools: None
Saves: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Insight, Persuasion

Feats:
Inspiring Leader
* * *
Spellcasting
Divine Domain: Life
- Bonus Proficiency
- Domain Spells
- Disciple of Life
- Blessed Healer
- Divine Strike
- Supreme Healing
Channel Divinity
- Turn Undead (CR4 or Lower)
- Preserve Life
Divine Intervention

Spellcasting:
Spells Known: 22
Spell DC: 19
Atk Mod: +11
At-Will (5): Guidance, Light, Mending, Resistance, Spare the Dying
L1(4): bless, cure wound, Command, Detect Evil and Good, Detect Magic, Healing Word
L2(3): lesser restoration, spiritual weapon, Aid, Hold Person, Zone of Truth
L3(3): beacon of hope, revivify, Create Food & Water, Daylight, Dispel Magic
L4(3): death ward, guardian of faith, Banishment, Divination, Locate Creature
L5(2): mass cure wounds, raise dead, Greater Restoration, Hallow
L6(1): Forbiddance
L7(1): Resurrection
L8(1): Control Weather
L9(1): Gate

Equipment:
Quarterstaff.  Melee; +7 to hit; deals 1d6 +2 bludgeoning; Versatile (1d8)
Longbow. Ranged; +8 to hit; deals 1d8 +3 piercing; Ammo, Range (150/600), Heavy, 2-handed
Shield. AC +2.
A holy symbol.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Lux Tenebris: Ashar Marellam


Ashar Marellam crouched among the branches of the tree, observing the woman below him. She was drow, which was enough to make him even more cautious than usual. That, added with the fact that she'd been seen leaving the goblin's place two days past, had caused all sorts of unpleasant scenarious to tumble through Ashar's mind. It had even been enough to convince their Lady to have the drow watched, as she made her way down the Old Road.
Ashar moved slightly on his perch. He shifted his grip on his bow and wondered if it would be best for everyone if he just shot the drow bitch where she stood.  People disappeared in the woods all the time. Ashar doubted that  anyone would come looking for the woman if she went missing.
But the gnome held his hand, even though his instincts screamed at him to take the shot. The Lady had been very clear; the drow was to be watched and followed, but no action was to be taken against her unless she did something malevolent.
Ashar watched the drow move toward a copse of blackberry bushes.  Would plucking a berry be malevolent enough for his Lady? Somehow, Ashar doubted it.
He didn't want to earn his Lady's ire. She had taken him in, welcomed him when his own folk threw him out for his . . . inclinations. Gnomes, for all their cleverness, could be as hidebound and unyielding as any rock-headed dwarf.
No, Ashar had found a home with the Lady and her company. He would not risk that, would not risk everything that he had built over the years because of some drow bitch.
Ashar would serve his Lady. He would follow the drow, make sure she harmed no one and nothing, and when she was gone from the Lady's domain, only then would Ashar return home.
Curiosity about the drow's purpose continued to gnaw at his thoughts, but he would not give in to it. However, Ashar knew with absolute certainty, that the ebon-skinned she-elf would haunt his head for days to come.
* * * * *
ASHAR MARELLAM, L11 Forest Gnome Fighter

STR     08 (-1)
DEX    17 (+3)
CON   14 (+2)
INT     13 (+1)
WIS     13 (+1)
CHA   13 (+1)
HP       87
AC      15 (Leather Armor + FS: Defense)

Traits:
Darkvision
Gnome Cunning
Natural Illusionist (Minor Illusion cantrip, Spell DC 13, Atk Mod +8)
Speak w/Small Beasts
Languages: Common, Gnomish, Sylvan

Proficiencies(+4):
Armor: All
Weapons: All
Tools: Drum
Saves: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Athletics, Insight, Perception, Survival

Feats:
Wanderer
* * *
FS: Archery (+2 Attack w/Ranged Weapons)
Second Wind
Action Surge
Martial Archetype: Champion
- Improved Critical
- Remarkabale Athlete
- Additional FS: Defense (AC +1 in Armor)
Extra Attack (+2)
Indomitable (1x)

Equipment:
Shortbow. Ranged. +9 to hit; deals 1d6 +3 piercing; Ammo, Range (80/320), 2-handed
Shortsword. Melee. +7 to hit; deals 1d6 +3 piercing; Finesse, Light.
Scimitar. Melee. +7 to hit; deals 1d6 +3 slashing; Finesse, Light.
Handaxes (2). Melee/Ranged (20/60). +7 to hit; deals 1d6 +3 slashing; Light, Thrown.
Leather Armor. AC 11 + Dex.
An explorer's pack, a hunting trap, a trophy, a set of traveler's clothes, a purse with 10g.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Lux Tenebris: Taros Skartos


"There aren't many of my folk left hereabouts," said the goblin called Taros. "It can get a bit lonely."
"I imagine so," said the Iron Rose. "This is excellent tea. Mugwort?"
"My own blend," said Taros, beaming at her.
"If you don't mind my asking, how did you wind up here?" asked the Iron Rose.
Her goblin host's face spasmed for a moment and Malora wondered if she had made a mistake, asking the question.  The rain was coming down in buckets outside the creature's home and the nearest welcoming village was at least a day's ride away.
"I'm sorry," she said quickly. "I didn't mean to upset you."
Taros waved her apology aside. "I made mistakes."
"Everyone does," pointed out Malora.
"Most people's mistakes don't get other people killed," said Taros. "Mine did."
She said nothing, merely nodded in silent understanding. They sat in companionable silence for a few moments. The Iron Rose let her gaze drift around the room. She took in the small shelf of weathered books, a crystal-topped staff leaning against one wall, a small devotional altar tucked away in a corner of the room, near the tangle of blankets that was her host's bed.
"You're a wizard."
She didn't try to keep the surprise out of her voice.
"I dabble," said the goblin, modestly.
"More than that, I'd wager," said Malora. "That's a copy of Korella's Grimoire on your shelf."
"You know it?" Taros looked intrigued.
"I know of it," said Malora. "I've no talent for magic."
"That's surprising."
She chuckled. "No more surprising than your apparent talent for it."
He shrugged, but she thought he looked pleased.
"That book is very dear to me. It was given to me by the wizard I studied with."
"Oh? What was his name?"
"Ellero Rill."
Her white brows shot up. "An elf apprenticed you?"
"Half-elf," said Taros. "He was a good man."
"What happened to him?"
"He died," said the goblin. "Killed by a group of dark wizards called the Ring of Fire."
"I'm sorry."
Taros shrugged again, but there was genuine sadness in his dark goblin eyes. It vanished quickly and he smiled and raised the kettle. "More tea?"
"Yes, please. It's really quite excellent."
And so they passed the night, in quiet conversation over cups of warm mugwort tea, while the storm raged through the mountains.


TAROS SKARTOS, L7 GOBLIN WIZARD


STR 13 (+1)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 17 (+3)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 10 (+0)
HP 51
AC 15 (Mage Armor)

Racial Traits
Size: Small
Darkvision
Fury of the Small
Nimble Escape
Languages: Common, Goblin

Proficiencies(+3)
Armor: None
Weapons: Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light x-bows
Tools: Disguise kit, Forgery kit
Saves: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Arcana, Deception, Insight, Slight of Hand

Feats
False Identity
* * *
Arcane Recovery
Arcane Tradition: Illusion
- Illusion Savant
- Improved Minor Illusion
- Malleable Illusions

Spellcasting
Spells Known: 10
Spell DC: 14
Atk Modifier: +6
At-Will(4): Minor illusion, Friends, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp
L1(4): Detect magic, Mage Armor, Silent Image, Witch Bolt
L2(3): Alter Self, Invisibility
L3(3): Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image
L4(1): Greater Invisibility

Equipment:
Dagger(2). Melee/Ranged(20/60 ft). +5 to hit; deals 1d4 +2 piercing; Finesse, Light.
Light x-bow. Ranged(80/320 ft). +5 to hit; deals 1d8 +2 piercing; Loading, 2-Handed.
An arcane focus, a spellbook, an explorer's pack, a set of fine clothes, a disguise kit, a deck of marked cards, a belt pouch w/15 gp.




Friday, April 13, 2018

Lux Tenebris: The Road West...

The woman standing at the marble table, bent over a map of western Nur, was beautiful. Her ebon skin stood out in stark contrast to the silver-white locks tumbling over her shoulders. As the Chief Archivist watched, the woman absently reached up and pushed her long hair over her shoulder.
She's let it grow out, thought the Chief Archivist. She feels safe enough here to relax her guard a bit, to indulge in longer hair.
The Chief Archivist felt a flash of regret at that realization. Nevertheless, she cleared her voice.
The drow turned, one hand going automatically to the point of her hip where her blade would have rested. She had turned it in when she walked through the Archive's doorways, but old habits were hard to break.
"Chief Archivist." The drow woman's voice was low and pleasant, barely tinged by the curious accent of her people. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"
"I'm told you're planning a trip, Malora."
"Word travels quickly here," remarked the drow. She arched her pale brows and glanced at the room's high marble ceiling. "You'd almost think some people didn't have anything else to do but gossip."
The Chief Archivist just smiled and stepped up to the table.
"You're heading west?"
"Yes," said Malora. She traced a route, west and then south. "To Moontree."
"You're taking the Old Road. The new trade road would be faster."
"And more traveled," said Malora. "I would rather spend more time on the road and less time explaining my bonafides and fending off every idiotic bravo with a sword."
The Chief Archivist nodded. She tapped a section of the map. "I'd avoid Orvald, if I were you. The dwarves there aren't the friendliest folk in the Graytooth Mountains."
"I've heard. I'm going around."
"Some of that road hasn't been maintained in years," cautioned the Chief Archivist.
"I've traveled through rough terraine before, Chief Archivist. I'll be fine."
"No doubt."
"Was there some other reason you wanted to see me?"
"Yes, actually. There was. I would like to commission your services."
"For what?" asked the Iron Rose.
"I'd like you to deliver a sealed message to a friend. His home is on your route."
"And the reason you want to hire me instead of a more . . . traditional courier?"
"The message is sensitive and personal. I require someone of discretion to deliver it. As you yourself said, some people have nothing better to do than gossip."
"I'm not cheap."
"I know," said the Chief Archivist. "I believe this will cover the cost."
She produced a small leather purse and handed it to the drow. The Iron Rose glanced inside the bag. Her expression gave nothing away, but when she spoke her voice held a note of suspicioun.
"This is more than enough for a simple courier job."
"I know," said the Chief Archivist. "Will you do it?"
"I suppose so," said the Iron Rose. She tucked the purse away. "I'm leaving tomorrow. I'll stop by and pick up your message in the morning and you can give me the details."
The Chief Archivist nodded and, smiling, went on her way.
* * * * *
The next morning, after she had seen off the drow, the Chief Archivist made her way to her personal office. She was not surprised to discover she had a visitor.
Lukus Swann, the Regent of Fallen Baramir, stood at the west-facing window. He spoke without turning around.
"She's off, then?"
"Yes," said the Chief Archivist. She moved to her desk, seated herself in the fine dragonbone chair behind it. "I don't like this, Lukus."
"I know, Selne," said the Regent. "But we have no choice. The war isn't over. This is just a pause. Everyone is catching their breath.  The Empire is fortifying its position in the east and our neighbors are itching to take the fight to them.  I've even heard rumors that Goldsun and Darkwater may join the campaign."
"Darkwater makes sense, but I'm surprised Goldsun would deign to involve themselves in the affairs of the lesser races."
"Not everyone in Goldsun shares your father's prejudices, my dear."
"You could have spoken to Malora yourself," said the Chief Archivist. "Why I let you talk me into acting as your intermediary is beyond me."
"There are too many people watching the Iron Rose and me. If I'd employed her directly can you imagine what the rumormongers and whisperers would make of it?"
"You're paranoid."
"I'm prudent," said Swann.
"You're asking Isteban Mirelle to come back to Fallen Baramir. That's not what I would call a prudent move, Regent."
"I think we'll need him," said Swann. "And he owes us. Me, at least."
"This won't make you any friends when people find out," cautioned the Chief Archivist.
"Yes," said Swann. "Well, friendship isn't what I'm interested in right now."
"Then what?"
"Survival," said the Regent.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Lux Tenebris: Bora Drakeseye


BORA DRAKESEYE, L4 Mountain Dwarf Sorceress

STR     15 (+2)
DEX    16 (+3)
CON   19 (+4)
INT     13 (+1)
WIS     17 (+3)
CHA   20 (+5)
HP       38
AC      16 (Unarmored)

Traits
Darkvision
Dwarven Resilience
Stonecunning
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarvish

Proficiencies (+2)
Armor: Light, Medium
Weapons: Battleaxe, Handaxe, Throwing hammer, Warhammer, Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light x-bows
Tools: Brewer's tools, Cards, Thieves' tools
Saves: Constitution +6, Charisma +7
Skills: Deception +7, Intimidation +7, Persuasion +7, Stealth +5

Feats
Criminal Contact
* * *
Sorcerous Origin: Draconic Bloodline
            - Draconic Ancestry: Blue
            - Draconic Resilience
Font of Magic (4 Sorcery Points)
Metamagic: Empowered Spell, Subtle Spell

Spellcasting
Spells Known: 5
Spell DC: 15
Atk Mod: +7
At-Will(5): Dancing Light, Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp
L1(4): Burning Hands, Detect Magic, Magic Missile
L2(3): Alter Self, Shatter

Equipment
Handaxe. Melee. +4 to hit; deals 1d6 +2 slashing; Light, Thrown (20/60)
Daggers (2). Melee/Ranged. +5 to hit; deals 1d4 +3 piercing; Finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60)
An arcane focus, an explorer's pack, a crowbar, a set of dark clothes including a hood, a belt pouch containing 15g.

There isn't much organized crime in Orvald. Dwarves are, by inclination, a lawful bunch. However, there are always exceptions, and the organized criminals in Orvald usually have some connection to Bora Drakeseye.
She's the eldest daughter in a dwarven family rumored to have dragonsblood flowing through their veins. That would explain the family's propensity for sorcery, as well as their peculiar crimson eyes. Bora has inherited both traits, she's also inherited control of the family's extralegal endeavors.
The City Watch knows Bora is the leader of a gang of smugglers and thieves, but they've never been able to prove it.  Bora is too cautious to get caught easily and she'll dump a load of stolen merchandise before getting caught and thrown into the city's dungeons.
She spends most of her time in a small tavern the family runs called The Weeping Widow. Bora is the dwarf woman with crimson eyes sitting in the back, surrounded by shady characters.
Every few years some overambitious newcomer tries to replace Bora. These wannabes don't last long. Bora's gang is fiercely loyal to her and she to them.
Recently, Bora was approached by the Veil. They're interested in forming a partnership with her, as Bora has access to places and people that the Veil does not.  Bora knows dealing with the Veil could get dicey, but she's confidant that if she keeps her head and doesn't get greedy, the partnership could be extremely profitable for everyone involved.