Monday, January 6, 2014

2014

Happy New Year, gentle readers!
I hope you've all had a fine holiday season and that your new year has been nice so far.
Mine has been smashing.
Why?
Because I've already accomplished my New Year's resolution which was to eat cake.
Yes, you read that correctly. My New Year's resolution was to eat cake.
Which I did.
Pineapple upside down cake to be precise.
I ate it with great pleasure and a strong sense of satisfaction that I had, once again, completed another New Year's resolution.
Once upon a time, however, I made foolish resolutions. Lose weight. Watch my spending. Try not to get irritated with people.
These all tended to last about a day before I would say, 'To hell with it!' and generally feel bad about failing.
Then, one year, I decided to make more sensible resolutions. Wash the dishes in the sink. Replace the toilet roll.  Get the car washed in Spring.
You know, sensible resolutions.  One-offs, if you will.
They may not be grande resolutions, but they're still resolutions and I feel a small flash of satisfaction whenever I accomplish one.
Of course, the easiest thing to do is not to make resolutions at all.  But that strikes me as somewhat lazy.  Granted, a resolution to 'Eat cake.' may not require a lot of fortitude or effort, but it's the thought that counts. Right? Right!
So I have started 2014 on a high note.  I ate cake.
What next?
Well, wait and see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment