Monday, February 23, 2015

Comics on the Screen

The Oscars were on last night. I didn't watch them.  I don't really watch much of anything anymore. That's one of the reasons I don't have a television.
The other is the expense. If I had a television I'd want cable which would cost way too much for what you get.  It's cheaper and more practical just to have the Internet and stream the few programs I want to watch when I want to watch them.
To be honest, there's not much on the boob tube these days that I want to watch.  And what I do watch would probably surprise people.
Working in a comic shop, most people assume I'm a big fan of comic related television programming. That's actually not true.
I can't stand The Walking Dead with its endless misery.  I've only watched a couple of episodes of Flash and Arrow.  They just don't interest me.  Arrow is basically a Batman show without using Batman and Flash just didn't ring my bell.
I gave Agents of SHIELD a shot in the first season but it was too damn boring. The second season was better because they hit the ground running, but I'm still not enamored of the show.
That said, I love Agent Carter and usually enjoy Gotham
The fact that I'm watching a Batman-related show at all comes as a shock to many of my friends, as I have a deep and powerful loathing of the Batman character.  And, in all honesty, if the show runners decided to go completely AU with Gotham and kill of young Bruce Wayne, I would probably enjoy it even more.  That said, the main reason I watch is for the Penguin and Fish Mooney bits.
I've watched a few episodes of Constantine, but find Matt Ryan's portrayal of the title character too quick and light for my tastes. 
Upcoming comic-related shows aren't exactly winding their way into my heart, either.
The news that Fox has greenlit a Lucifer pilot, inspired by the biblical character from DC's Sandman series, has left a bad taste in my mouth.  They've taken one of the most interesting concepts and are basically turning it into a stupid police procedural.
Apparently, the Dreadstar comic series may be making its way to the small screen, as well, but I'll believe that when I see it.  On the one hand, it's such a little known property it could come in with very little public bias, but, on the other hand, people might look at it and think it's just a Star Wars ripoff.
No, there's not a lot of comic-related television love in my house.
This is probably a good thing.
I love comics, the stories and characters, the fact that they are modern morality tales.  When they're done right, we can get some truly great shows.
But when they're done wrong? Well, we get stuff like Birds of Prey.
And, trust me, no one needs to be exposed to something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment