Monday, August 10, 2015

Roll for Initiative

Good afternoon, gentle readers!
I hope you've all had a good weekend and didn't get so pissed you couldn't go to work. My weekend was fairly typical.  I played Dungeons & Dragons with some friends.
Yes, I know.
I am a geek.
But it's fun.
I haven't played in ages, so when I was invited to play with this group a few months back, I was a little hesitant. I love D&D, but my experience with D&D players has been somewhat . . . varied.
Still, I'd rather hang out with tabletop RPGers than the MTG crowd.
Most of those guys are just assholes.
And I have to say that I have enjoyed my time with this group.  We aren't playing as 'serious' a game as I might like, but it's been a lot of fun.  The group dynamic has been good.
Unfortunately, for me, the game has kind of derailed my creative endeavors.
I was making progress on a story, but now all I want to do is world-build a possible D&D setting.
*sigh*
I shouldn't complain.
Actually, I'm not complaining.
I love world-building, it's a lot of fun coming up with continents and deities, cities and histories. As a matter of fact, the first thing I ever published was a nonspecific RPG sourcebook.  It was called Winter City: The City of Marvels, and it was a labor of love set in a superheroic universe.
Now, I find myself contemplating a proper fantasy setting.
Only, I'm trying to avoid the usual tropes that accompany most fantasy settings: elves are good, dwarves are dower, humans are the dominant race, etc.
It's more challenging than you'd think.
Especially if you're trying to be original.
I have to admit to feeling a little guilty about working on this stuff instead of another story for publication, but then I remembered: I am my own boss.  I am not under contract.  The only person that I have to satisfy is myself.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, makes all the difference.
What next?
Let's find out....

No comments:

Post a Comment