Monday, November 19, 2012

A Demonstration of Writing By the Seat of One's Pants

Hello, gentle readers!

I just sat at my computer and realized, "Oh hell! I have to do a blog entry!"

And, so, here we are.

I have nothing prepared.

Nothing.

Nada

Zip.

My brain is as empty as a politician’s promise.

But still, here I am, pounding away on the keyboard producing something.

That’s the secret, you know, to being a writer.

Just write.

You don’t have to have anything planned out, you can just sit down and start to write and see what happens. It’s a bit like procreation, I suppose. Or parenting. You just sort of do it and wait to see the results.

If you’re lucky, you produce a healthy baby who will grow into a productive member of society. On the other hand, sometimes you create monstrous freaks who would make Freddy Kruger wet his pants.

It’s sort of a crap shoot.

You’ll have a lot of writers who say you should plan everything out. I don’t agree with that. Personally, I’m a write-by-the-seat-of-the-pants kind of guy. I’ve tried to do the layout thing and it was hell. Pure hell. I felt like I was doing homework. Math homework. Which was no fun at all!

Math sucks.

I’m not just saying that because I was bad at it.

Unless your job calls for it, it’s unlikely you have ever had to use geometry or calculus. Right? Right.

I always liked English even if I didn’t particularly care for most of my English teachers. They were sort of crabby, the lot of them. However, if I were locked in a building with a bunch of moody teenagers all day long, I’d probably be crabby too.

Or an alcoholic.

An alcoholic teacher who would eventually wind up in prison or something.

Hmm.

I think I just gave myself an idea for a story.

See what happens? See how this works?

Just write.

You never know where it’ll take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment