Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Review of Wreck-It Ralph

Once again, gentle readers, I think I am going to be out-of-step with the mainstream.

This weekend I went and saw Wreck-It Ralph, and left the movie feeling perturbed.

The basic premise of the movie is that a video game villain, the eponymous Wreck-It Ralph, wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream. However, his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives.

Personally, I thought the movie sent mixed messages. On the one hand, it encourages people to accept who they are. However, on the other hand, it repeatedly tells people not to buck the system, not to try and change themselves because it’s impossible.

This last is a crap message, especially to give to impressionable little kids.

What? You’re in awful circumstances, so you shouldn’t do anything about it? Your parents are beating you, your teacher is touching you, but don’t make a fuss. Don’t rock the boat. Just endure because that’s what people are supposed to do.

This is a bullshit message to give to little kids, but it’s pretty much the idea that I got from this movie.

Was the movie entertaining? Eh. It was okay. Nothing to really write home about. The animation was standard, the voice cast was okay. The story felt predictable, and, at times, I thought it dragged.

On my Media Scale of Movie Love, I’d have to give Wreck-It Ralph 3 out of 10. Between the message and the content, I don’t really feel like the movie is theater-worthy. Wait for this to come out as a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment