Monday, March 25, 2013

Angels of Mercy & Death

Hello, gentle readers.
A while back I wrote an obligatory zombie story.  When you write genre fiction, I think it is inevitable that you will write a story involving the undead.  That may mean vampires or zombies or ghosts, but you'll eventually wind up writing about one of them or all of them.
My story, The Finishers, is set in a world where the zombie apocalypse has come and gone. Humanity survived, but society has changed.
This morning, I've been working on a story set in that same world, although involving different characters. 
It hasn't gone well.
I think my concept is sound.  In a world where you know the dead will rise, how would people prepare for their inevitable, natural death? What sort of organizations and social mechanisms would develop to deal with that situation?
I've been trying to explore that in this short story, tentatively titled Angels of Mercy & Death. The protagonist in the story has slowly taken shape over the course of the morning, but the story itself remains vague and undefined.  Its ending is elusive.  I'm not happy with it.  Not happy at all.
Still, I persevere, because what else am I going to do?
Give up?
Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment