Monday, August 26, 2013

Because Blogging is Cheaper Than Therapy....

Last February after a long break from work, I got a job.
I got it for two reasons: (1) the extra money would be nice and (2) I was going stir-crazy staying at home all the time.
To be honest, the second reason was what really motivated me to go out and get a job. Anytime you're sitting at home, contemplating wrapping your head in toilet paper just to see what it looks/feels like, that's usually a good sign that you're spending way too much time alone. 
Either that or you should get your own YouTube channel.
Anyway, last February I went out and got my job at the comic shop.  I love my job. I like my coworkers. I even like about 98% of the customers who come into the store. 
But this job, which was supposed to just save my sanity, and give me a little break from my real job as a writer, has somehow eaten my life.  I work five days a week and when I come home I'm so tired that any attempt at writing results in me just sitting, staring at my laptop's screen.
These days, when I come home from work, I don't even bother trying to write anything. I just turn on the comp and go to YouTube or Hulu or somewhere and watch videos or listen to music. 
I don't want to quit my job. I really like it. But I said I'd have the sequel to Dawnwind out in 2013 and I haven't even hit the 30,000 word mark.
And even if I give up my job, I'm afraid that may not solve the problem. I'm worried, ladies and gentlemen, that I may have shot my creative wad (if you'll pardon the language) with the last book.
I think about that and it makes me want to throw myself out a window.
A bottom floor window, onto some soft cushions.
But still, you get what I'm saying.
Forgive me if this post is a bit more rambly than most, but I just felt the need to put this out there and get it off my chest.  I think I've been thinking about this way too long.
Add to that the headaches of looking for a house of my own and, well, you can understand why I'm a bit . . . dispirited.
So, what next?
I suppose I have to make some decisions about work and life and everything. It feels very adult saying that, ladies and gentlemen.
Adulthood sort of sucks when it's not awesome.
I shall keep you informed of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment