Monday, January 26, 2015

Glass Half Full?

Good morning, gentle readers.
Money, they say, is the root of all evil.
Well, I don't know about that, but it can certainly lead to a great deal of stress.
I just got hit with a bill. It was not unexpected, but it isn't one of my ordinary ones and the timing on it could have been better. It's the end of the year. Taxes are due. I have to pay an accountant to help file them because I've got some stuff on this year's tax returns that I've never had before and want to make sure I do it right.
It's a stressful time for yours truly, ladies and gents, but the stress is mainly my own fault.
On Facebook there's this great meme going around. Some of you have probably seen it, but I'm going to share it here because I think it's relevant and truthful.

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the 'half empty or half full' question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, It's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a
day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

"The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed - Incapable of doing anything."

Remember to put the glass down.

By all means, please, put the glass down.
Unfortunately, some of us have a harder time of letting go than others.
Still, I'm making the effort.
Slowly, but surely, I'm prying my fingers away from that damned glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment