Monday, April 27, 2015

Your Good Fortune Could Save a Life

Good afternoon, gentle readers!
Forgive my exuberance, but today has been a good day, the sort of day that makes a person reflect on just how lucky they've been.
I sometimes take the quality of my life for granted. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, clean water, a working toilet, electricity, heat in the winter, air conditioning in the summer.
That's a lot of positives, if you think about it. 
Now compare that with people in so-called Third World nations.  Hell's bells. Compare it to the living conditions of some people in so-called First World nations.
Hunger is an issue around the world, as is potable water.
Safety is a big concern, as well.
I'm lucky to live in a country that hasn't been racked by war in almost 150 years.  There are people out there right now, RIGHT NOW, who are living in active war zones.  There are people who leave their homes in the morning and never know if they'll make it home alive. Or if their homes will still be there.
I am very, very lucky.
I know that, and I am grateful.
The fortunate status of my life has only been struck home by recent events in Nepal. Thousands of people there have died and thousands more need help.
Bearing that in mind, and considering the fortunate circumstances of your own life, you may want to reach out and help.  To support aid efforts in the region, you may want to donate to the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent appeal: http://www.ifrc.org/nepal-earthquake .
You don't need to donate a lot, and you certainly don't have to, but if you can, I'm sure your efforts would be appreciated.
You're probably having a good life. 
Now you have an opportunity to share that fortune with someone who really needs it.
Maybe your donation will even save someone's life.
There are worse things you could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment