Monday, July 13, 2015

Minions

Today, I went and saw Minions.
In a nutshell, it's pretty much the story of how the little yellow guys wound up meeting Gru. There are, of course, interesting diversions along the way.
Overall, I thought the movie was okay.
There were some funny bits, including an homage to a certain famous album cover and a once-upon-a-time controversial musical. A lot of that humor, I think, will go right over little kids' heads, but there's still enough slapstick humor in the movie to make the kids giggle.
I will say that the movie does deserve its PG rating. Some of the humor is a little dark and there is some cartoonish violence, but nothing really bad.
However, I feel I have to say that I think the minions works best as minions. I don't think they're dynamic enough characters to warrant another minion-centric movie. Instead, let's see them in their natural habitat, working devotedly and slavishly for Gru.  Or whoever is going to take Gru's place, once the minions realize he isn't really a villain any longer.
Overall, I would give Minions 3 out of 5 stars.  It's a pretty decent movie, but nowhere near as funny as it could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment