Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Best Comic of the Week

I am a big comic geek. I've been reading comics since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I cut my teeth on Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans and was reading X-Men before Jean Grey died the first time.  Later, I was a huge fan of Bill Willingham's Elementals and Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
My taste tends to run towards imprints like Vertigo or comic companies like Image and Dark Horse. So it's something of a shock to realize that my favorite comic from today's releases is the reboot of Archie from Archie Comics.
Writer Mark Waid introduces us to a modern reimagining of the titular character that updates him but remains true to the spirit of the original.  Archie Andrews, as presented in this comic, is just a really nice guy.  Nice, but not saccharine.
Fiona Staples artwork is lovely and meshes nicely with Andre Szymanowicz's colors.
Overall, I'd give this book 5 out of 5 and I'm thinking I might add it to my pull if future issues remain this enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment