Thursday, November 16, 2017

Writers are weird

Hello, gentle readers.
I have the horrible desire to write but, alas, I cannot satisfy that itch.  Not like I would like. 
When I write, I do it on my laptop. My laptop, alas, is having problems. It needs to be repaired and I'm hesitant to use it until it's repaired lest I exacerbate the problems.
I'm on a Chromebook, at the moment, but I cannot stand Google Docs. It's an aesthetic thing, I suspect. And a trust issue. 
I don't trust the cloud. And given how so many people couldn't access their Google docs earlier this week, I feel weirdly vindicated in my disdain.
I suppose it all comes down to comfort level. When I was younger, I wrote on a typewriter. An honest-to-God typewriter, with an ink cartridge and correction tape. The whole nine yards. I imagine that must sound like a caveman, banging away on a rock to today's generation.
Then I transitioned to a desktop computer and lastly to a laptop. The laptop I had before my current one lasted almost 8 years. Transitioning to the new one was mildly traumatic, like burying a beloved pet.
And now the thought of writing anything longform, with pen and paper, is just daunting to me.  
So, here I sit, typing this up on this Chromebook in blogger, because this is more comfortable to me than writing stuff in Google Docs. 
Writers are just weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment