Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Lux Tenebris: What next?

Hello, gentle readers!
It's a chilly Wednesday afternoon as I sit here writing these words. A polar vortex has dropped temperatures across most of the US and even though we're not as badly affected as some other parts of the country, we are definitely feeling its effects.
But I'm not here to talk about the weather. I'm here to talk about Lux Tenebris.
Those of you who have been following this blog for a while probably realize that I've been writing about this fantasy setting for a while. This February, it will be two years. Lux Tenebris started off as a one-off, a riff on Critical Role and the Dungeons & Dragons setting. But it has grown into something much bigger.
I started off with the disparate characters who comprise the adventuring party, Lux Tenebris, then expanded into other areas. A brief history of Darkwater, the largest and most influential city in the northwest of the continent of Nur. Then it was off to Mountgate and Swordhold and Fallen Baramir, with side excursions to Dryspire and Shrike and the Palatine Peninsula. We went west of the Tallsheild Mountains, into the Braerosen Wastes, and spent a little time in Ordotown. We went east, into the Gulf of Promises, and the island of Avoree.
For the last nine months(!!!) we've followed the Iron Rose west from Fallen Baramir to the city of Moontree. Along the way, we've stopped off in Ilok's Junction, Grimmgate, Treeport and Widowmaker Bay.  We've met a goblin wizard and thief-monks, quicksilver gnomes and folk from as far north as the Scrimshore Coast.
The Iron Rose arrived in Moontree and fulfilled her duty. She passed on the message to Isteban Mirelle and that's where we left things.
But there's so much left to tell! Places only mentioned in passing, like the elvish cities of Goldsun and Moonhome. Then there's the Draconic Empire itself on the eastern coast of Nur, and the entire continent of V'resh.  The Scrimshore Coast. The desolate city of Zolzerr in the Far North. The aasimar city of Pax.
There's history to cover as well. What was the Dissolution of Vorfel? Why did some humans flee V'resh and found the city of Moontree?  What have the Ilthids been planning, down in the Underdark? Are they even still there?
I love Lux Tenebris. I do. I will return there.
But, I also feel like I need to take a break from it. There's a couple of other settings I've been toying with that I'd like to offer up to you all.  Palate cleansers, if you will. One setting is very dark while the other is more whimsical.
So, we'll be taking a little break from Lux Tenebris. (Even as I type this, as I commit to other things, I have this overwhelming urge to start writing up notes on Goldsun. Ha!) But we will return to it.  It's too big for me to just walk away from now.
But now I have to sit down and ask myself a question: what next?

No comments:

Post a Comment