Monday, December 28, 2015

Holidaze

Good afternoon, gentle readers!
I hope everyone had a good holiday and that you got what you needed, even if you didn't get what you wanted.
My holiday was fairly chill.  I spent it with family and came home laden with leftovers.
New Year's Eve is this week and, to be honest, I'll be happy once it's come and gone.
Let's be honest, folks: the holidays are bloody exhausting!
Here in the States, things start to get nuts right after Halloween. Thanksgiving starts off the holiday trifecta, leading up to Christmas and then ending with New Year's Eve.
For two months people spend money like it's going out of style, buying presents for people they probably don't know all that well, getting 'holiday cheer' jammed down their throats and ending the whole shebang with a night of desperate, drunken debauchery that would leave the Roman Emperors of old shaking their heads and looking faintly alarmed.
It's all just too much.
Thankfully, some of us chose to opt out of the madness.
Thanksgiving is not a big deal for me. I call my family and wish them a 'Happy Thanksgiving' then eat my traditional dinner of pizza.
Christmas isn't a big deal either. My family doesn't do presents. I spend the day with my mom, who insists on cooking a spread even though she doesn't have to, and then it's home again.
New Year's Eve? I'll see in the New Year, but I don't get New Year's Day off.  Instead, it'll be business as usual for yours truly, up and off to work while a significant majority of people are recovering from hangovers. Or waking up next to someone they don't recognize and hoping they haven't just contracted super-gonorrhea or something.
Yeah. The holidays are a bit much and I'll be glad to see the back of them.
However, with that in mind, I do hope you have a happy new year.
Best wishes! - G.

No comments:

Post a Comment