Thursday, May 24, 2012

An Irritation

Gentle readers, I am in a mood.
Recently, when I published my collection of short stories, Surprise Vignettes, through Smashwords I completely forgot to opt out of distribution to Amazon using their Channel Manager.  I went back and opted out of Amazon, then sent off a quick query to Smashwords. 
Below is a copy of my original query sent in on May 21, 2012.

 Dear Smashwords,
I published a recent book and forgot to opt out of Amazon.com on the Channel Manager. I've gone back and since opted out, but I'm wondering how long it will be before the changes go into effect? Thanks in advance! - George R. Shirer

Today, roughly 72 hours later, I got this response from Smashwords.

Hi, George.
Thanks for your email. Actually we don't distribute to Amazon yet, so you don't need to worry about distribution to them.
Best,
- Jane Doe
Smashwords Content Team

It has prompted me to go back to Smashwords and send them this complaint.

To whom it may concern,
Earlier this month, I e-mailed a question to Smashwords. When I published my short story, Surprise Vignettes, at Smashwords, I forgot to opt out of Amazon distribution in the Channel Manager. I went back and opted out, but wanted to know, how long it would take Smashwords to update Amazon re this matter.
Today, I received a very polite reply from one of your personnel, informing me that Smashwords does not distribute to Amazon.
If that's the case, why is Amazon listed as an option in the Channel Manager? How did my ebook appear on Amazon? None of the metadata has been changed, so I don't believe it's been pirated.
I know that you're backlogged, but I really don't appreciate the blythe, obviously wrong, answer I got from your staff.


No comments:

Post a Comment