Monday, May 28, 2012

Perseverance

Good afternoon, gentle readers.
Today's post has been delayed because of technical difficulties. Not on this end, mind you.  There's nothing wrong with my Internet connection and Blogger works as well as ever.
No, gentle readers, the fault lies not in ourselves, but in Smashwords.
This morning I discovered that my collection of superheroic short stories, "Capetales," had been denied entry to Smashwords Premium Catalogue because it lacks an NCX.  An NCX is "Navigation Control for XML."  In short, I have to add a chapter list and then do more coding.
Gentle readers, the life of an indie author is not for the weak or the lazy.  When you're not writing, you're promoting.  When you're not promoting, you're considering new venues.  Should I produce a physical book using Lulu or CreateSpace? Should I invest in targeted ads on Facebook? How do I get an indie e-book reviewed by a reputable source? One that doesn't expect to be paid?
Now, on top of all that, I have to add XML formatting to the mix.
Sometimes, I think I am completely nuts.  There are moments, gentle reader, when I am hunched over my laptop, face bathed in the screen's wan light, that I think I should chuck it all, get a job at Pizza Hut and say to hell with it all.  Just give up and live a life of quiet desperation like so many other people seem to do.
This morning was one of those times.  Discovering you have to do more formatting to your ebook, doesn't exactly encourage one to break out the party hats and champagne.
Still, I'll knuckle down and do it.
Because the alternative, letting the dream die, giving up and getting that job at Pizza Hut or (Heaven help me!) Hot Dog on a Stick would be too much bear.
Also, because all the good jobs at Hot Dog on a Stick have been taken by college graduates.

No comments:

Post a Comment