Thursday, January 14, 2021

Trinkets

When I was younger, I never wore jewelry. No rings or necklaces or bracelets. I've never really worn a watch consistantly, and, in fact, have only owned one timepiece in my entire life.
So it is a little amusing that I have now begun to accumulate ncklaces and bracelets. I'm not sure why I've suddenly taken to them at this point in my life. Maybe because I don't tend to think of them as decoration. I don't wear them where people can see them. I wear the bracelets and the pendants for myself, as reminders of whatever mood or strength that I feel I'll need that day.
If I think I'm going to need to maintain my calm, I'll wear my ohm pendant. If I wake up and I'm striving for balance, internal and/or external, I'll wear my ying-yang pendant.  The pentacle and the ankh I wear when I'm feeling spiritual or a need to connect with something bigger and higher than myself. I wear the nordic serpent pendant when I feel I'll need my wits about me.
Some days, I don't feel the need to wear any of them. I just sail out the door, confident in myself and my abilities. Other days, I stand by the bedside table and dither over which pendant is the right one to wear today? Sometimes, I think I'd like to get a chain with empty hooks that I can attach multiple symbols to, as needed. Feeling spiritual but unbalanced? Fasten the anke and the ying-yang symbol to the chain and maybe wear the Buddha bracelet.
The bracelet I wear, when I wear any, depends on my instincts. I'll usually pair the Buddha beads with the ohm pendant.  The shiny black hematite usually goes along with the pentacle and the ankh. The green bead bracelet (whose name completely escapes me) is generally worn by itself.
In a way, I suppose my jewelry has become a bit like invisible armor. Some days, I just feel more secure when I'm wearing them.
Don't ask me why? I don't have any idea why I feel like that. Maybe it has something to do with getting older? The realization that these pendants are functioning more like amulets or talismans, evoking parts of myself that I haven't really needed to draw upon, until now?
I don't know. All I know is that I feel better when I wear my trinkets.
All that said, I'm still not into rings.
Or watches.

No comments:

Post a Comment