Sunday, January 31, 2021

One step forward, two steps back.

I'm sitting here, watching Classic Doctor Who, and feeling like I'm twelve.  When I was twelve, Saturday nights usually consisted of soda, chips and watching Doctor Who and Blake's 7 on my local PBS channel. Back then, PBS didn't censor the shows. I saw my first boobs while watching Riley: Ace of Spies.  Nowadays, whoever's running my local PBS channel pixelates risque pictures in the background. The less said about how they edit some of the shows the better.
To me, it seems stupid and wasteful. It costs money to edit content. Money that I'm sure could be put toward better things than protecting the ridiculous oversensitivies of a bunch of prudes. I could understand if the nudity and language were tasteless, but we're talking PBS here, not Cinemax.
It just seems to me, lately, that, as our society takes a tentative step forward, we're then forced to take two steps back.
It's all very frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment