Thursday, February 25, 2021

What do you want? What do you need?

When we're children, we're often asked by adults what we want to be when we're grown up? The usual answer is some kind of profession. Fireman. Policeman. Soldier. Doctor. Dancer.

If someone asked me that question today, I don't know how I would answer it.

What do you want to be?

I don't know. Rich? Happy? Powerful? Younger? Healthier? Slimmer? Hairier?

You'll note that no profession entered into my answer. Because a job is not a goal. A job is a means to a goal. And I think everyone's goal should be something more intangible than physical.

I would like to be rich. A million dollars would suit me just fine.

I would like to be happy. Sometimes, I don't feel like I'm happy, just 'content.' Not the same thing.

I would like to be powerful. As in, I would like my voice to carry real weight with the world at large.

I would like to be younger. If I could turn back my personal odometer, I'd set it so my body is 23 and my mind is unaffected. (Oh the trouble I could get into!)

I would like to be healtheir. I'm doing okay, but there's always room for improvement en regards to health. Right?

I would like to be slimmer. Because I'm a bit vain and I think it would be nice not to have to struggle to find clothes that fit. I've come a long way in the last few years, but my weird girth can still be challenging.

I would like to have more hair. Again, this is all about vanity. I started to lose my hair when I was in my teens and now, well, throw me in a cassock and I could probably pass for a monk of some type. At least, in appearance. So it would be lovely to have a full head of thick, black hair again.

But, these are just things that I want. They aren't things that I actually need.

So, what do you need?

That's a good question and, beyond the obvious stuff like food, shelter, etc. I don't really know.

I suppose I should give it some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment